Clarification from Minister for Justice on Immigration Registrations and Renewals

Following on the recent announcement by the Minister for Justice that the automatic extension of immigration permissions which has been in place since March 2020 would not be extended beyond the 31st of May 2022, the Minister made a further announcement this week providing clarification on the arrangements for the renewal and registration of immigration permissions post the 31st of May 2022.

In a Notice published on the Immigration Service Delivery website on the 27th of May 2022, which can be read here, the Minister confirmed as follows: –

  1. Renewals of Irish Residence Permit

Persons can now apply to renew their Irish Residence Permit up to 12 weeks in advance of the permission expiring.  Previously, persons were required to wait 4 weeks in advance of the permission expiring to apply.

  1. First Time Registration

Dublin based customers should continue to use the Freephone Number 1800 741 741 to book an appointment to register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Appointments for First Registrations outside of Dublin can be made by contacting the relevant Local Registration Office in the area in which a person resides through the garda station network, for example Anglesea Street Garda Station Cork (located across the road from Sinnott Solicitors office at 14 Anglesea St, Cork), Henry Street Garda Station Limerick etc.

  1. Non-EEA Nationals in employment who are waiting for their renewal application to be processed

The Minister confirms that non-EEA Nationals who have submitted an application to renew their Permission to Remain whose Irish Residence Permit (IRP Card) has already expired are permitted to continue in employment provided that they show proof to their Employer that they have applied to renew their registration/permission to remain.

Persons who are seeking to enter new employment should show a copy of the Notice for Employers available here , as well as the Statement from the Minister for Justice to the prospective Employer where appropriate, which confirms their permission to work.

  1. Arrangements for English Language Students moving to Third Level Education

English Language Students who have completed the maximum of three eight-month English Language Courses and who intend to begin a Third-Level Undergraduate course in the Autumn can apply for a short-term Letter of Permission which will allow them to remain lawfully in the State during the Summer months until such time as they have registered for their new Stamp 2 Permission to Remain. Students in this category should email to apply for the letter. The bridging permission to remain will allow this group of students to continue to work (up to 40 hours per week) and reside in the State during the summer months, which is a welcome relief for the students themselves and the many employers for whom they are currently employed.

With offices in Dublin and Cork, Sinnott Solicitors have a specialist team of Immigration Solicitors and Immigration Consultants who are experts on Irish immigration matters. Should you have any queries with respect to any of the information contained in this article or any other immigration matters, do not hesitate to contact our immigration department in Cork or Dublin today on 014062862 or